Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Come autumn, there'll be sweet tater pound cake

Finally, FINALLY it's beginning to get cooler in Virginia. Can't imagine what it's been like further south, in the LowCountry of SC and in Georgia and Florida. (Well, I kinda know about Georgia, thanks to my cousin Tink, but the rest of the area--well, I wish you guys all the air conditioning in the world.)

Went through my first hurricane with The Man and Elvis. Elvis sweated out the two or three days before Irene struck; he paced, he whined, he stayed literally underfoot with whoever he could find in the house. Irene was only a couple of hours away when all his pacing and worrying stopped, and he got into his favorite chair and went to sleep. We figured if he wasn't worried any more, either we were doomed or we'd be fine, so we stopped worrying too.

And we were fine, actually, not counting the three days without air conditioning and the loss of a refrigerator/ freezer and garage freezer full of food. We'd tried to manage things so there would be minimal loss, but you can eat only so many smoked barbecued pork ribs and grilled chicken legs.

....and the writing life goes on, with self-editing and learning from other good sites like Jessica Morrell's The Writing Life Too and Lynn Viehl's Paperback Writer. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll meet up with these smart, funny ladies one day. In the meantime, I'll keep writing and keep watching them. (And I'll go buy a generator for the next hurricane.)

No comments:

Post a Comment